- 1 Recommendations for Core Facilities: DFG and ERA-Instruments
- 2 Literature for Imaging Core Facilities
- 3 Teaching Material
Recommendations for Core Facilities: DFG and ERA-Instruments
German Research Foundation (DFG)
Usage Guidelines and User Fees
User fees for microscopy core facilities can be applied for in DFG grants. Precondition is that instruments are operated in an organizational unit, normally a core facility providing usage guidelines. Hence, DFG defined standards for usage guidelines and usage costs.
"RIsources (RI = Research Infrastructure) is a portal operated by the DFG containing information about scientific research infrastructures which provide researchers with resources and services for planning and implementing research projects." (www.risources.dfg.de)
"ERA-Instruments aims at initiating coordination and a sustainable network of ministries, charities, funding agencies and research councils active in funding of life science RI." (www.era-instruments.eu)
ERA-Instruments published Recommendations for Mid-Size Instrumentation in the Life Sciences: IV. Advanced Light Microscopy
Literature for Imaging Core Facilities
Importance of Core Facilities
Building core strength, Editorial Nature Methods, 13:599, 2016.
Institutional core facilities: prerequisite for breakthroughs in the life sciences, D Meder, M Morales, R Pepperkok, R Schlapbach, A Tiran, G Van Minnebruggen, EMBO reports, 17(8), 2016.
Core Facility Management
- The article Advanced light microscopy core facilities: Balancing service, science and career has been published in the journal Microscopy Research and Technique. The "GerBI Best Practice Manual" summarizes the outcome of the German BioImaging workgroups during the first DFG-funding period.
- The German translation of the "GerBI Best Practice Manual" Gerätezentren für hochentwickelte Lichtmikroskopie: Service, Forschung, Karriere is also available:
- Setting Up and Running an Advanced Light Microscopy and Imaging Facility, C Sánchez, MÁ Muñoz, M Villalba, V Labrador, FJ Díez-Guerra, Current Protocols in Cytometry, 12.22.1-12.22.21, 2011.
- "List of things to think about with an Imaging facility", JB Sanderson, Royal Microscopical Society, 2010.
- Bio-Medical Light Microscopy Imaging Facility Management, Carl A. Boswell, George McNamara, Lab Manager, 2007.
- Design and Function of a Light-Microscopy Facility, Kurt I. Anderson, Jeremy Sanderson, Jan Peychl, Chapter in "Imaging Cellular and Molecular Biological Functions", Springer, 2007.
- Issues in the Management of a Core Imaging Facility, Judy Trogadis, Lab Manager, 2006.
- "Designing a Microscopy/Analytical Instrumentation Facility: Step by Step Procedure", Judy A. Murphy, Microscopy Today, November/December 2002.
- "Running and Setting Up a Confocal Microscope Core Facility", Susan DeMaggio, Chapter in "Methods in Cell Biology", 70, 475-485, 2002.
- Evaluation of Confocal Microscopy System Performance, Robert M. Zucker, Chapter in "Cell Imaging Techniques", Springer, 2006.